Resources for Health Care Providers
If you require one-on-one advice or information, please call the DCoE 24/7 Outreach Center: 1-866-966-1020.
Here are the clinical practice guidelines for the management of concussion/mTBI from the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense.
Here is the Veterans Health Initiative study guide on TBI.
The Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center (DVBIC) offers an online guide for health care providers which links providers to general information, clinical training, and additional resources: DVBIC TBI Information and Resources for Providers
If you are confused by military jargon or acronyms, please refer to the following website: War Psychiatry Acronyms and Abbreviations
The Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE) offers a pocket guide to concussion/mTBI: Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Pocket Guide You can request print copies by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has published the following fact sheet: Magnitude of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and MTBI Facts.
To understand the wartime experience of your patients, read this piece: A Flashlight Out of the Dark.
Resources for Patients and Families
Your patients and their families can get more information about concussion and what resources are available at any of the following sites:
- Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center: Family & Friends Resources
- BrainLineMilitary.org Resource Directory: Finding Help Near You
- BrainLine.org: For Family and Friends
- Traumatic Brain Injury: The Journey Home
- Afterdeployment.org — Getting Help
- Brain Injury Association of America
Each of the branches of the military — Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force — has targeted resources for injured service members:
- Army Wounded Warrior Program: Dial 1-877-393-9058 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Air Force Wounded Warrior Program: Dial 1-800-581-9437 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Navy Safe Harbor: Dial 1-877-746-8563 or e-mail email@example.com.
- USSOCOM Care Coalition: Dial 1-877-672-3039.
- Veterans Crisis Line (suicide): Dial 1-800-273-8255 and press 1.
- Marine Wounded Warrior Regiment Call Center Phone: Dial 1-877-4USMCWW or 1-877-487-6299
This article from DVBIC can help family members sort through those resources: Support for Wounded Service Members and Their Families