It's March. That means it’s Brain Injury Awareness Month — a yearly effort to shine a spotlight on the progress and benefits of brain research.
Did you know:
- There are 5.3 million Americans living with the often invisible effects of TBI.
- In the US, the #1 cause of death in kids is from TBI. Many of these deaths can be prevented through awareness.
- A person may look fine, but the internal damage to his brain can be life changing. However, most brain injuries are mild, and most people recover in a matter of weeks.
- In the military, between 2000 and the thrid quarter of 2012, more than 260,000 service members sustained a TBI.
- Brain injury, caused largely by improvised explosive devices (IEDs), has become known as the signature wound of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- The military is working on hundreds of projects to research brain injury so as to better prevent, diagnose, and treat brain injury.
Learn more about Brain Injury Awareness Month.