BrainLine Kids is a service of WETA logoCBIRT logo

What Is Emotional Flooding?

Jacqueline Borg, PhD

What Is Emotional Flooding?
More Information

Can TBI be confused with being bipolar? My teenage daughter broke her neck in a bad car wreck. Afterwards, she would have spells of uncontrollable crying. She went to our family doctor who told her she was bipolar and put her on meds. They are not really helping her much.

I am assuming your daughter sustained a brain injury during the motor vehicle accident that also resulted in her broken neck. If she has not had a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation, I would recommend that she have one to determine the extent of her brain injury and its impact on her neurocognitive and or neurobehavioral abilities.

Neurocognitive issues after a brain injury can effect a person’s emotions, behavior, and cognitive function. Post-traumatic reactions can occur independent of the brain injury and can affect mood and behavior. It is important to note that these are not mutually exclusive. After a TBI, people can experience both neurocognitive and psychological symptoms. When the brain is healing, it needs rest. Engaging in activities or being stimulated past the point of fatigue can result in emotional flooding. For some people, this can manifest as crying spells. Making sure to rest and take breaks will help prevent or at least lessen the intensity of these episodes of emotional flooding. A neuropsychologist can help your daughter develop coping skills.

Jacqueline Borg, PhDJacqueline Borg, PhD, Jacquelyn Borg, PhD is a clinical child psychologist and manager of the Department of Neuropsychology and Neurorehabilitation for Children's Specialized Hospital in New Jersey. She is an affiliate member of the medical staff at the Hospital.

Well, I had a minor one, and I need help, I have not been myself since, I want help!

Oct 4th, 2016 2:48am

I feel for anyone who shoved antipsychotic meds after a TBI. After my TBI in 1985, I was on a roller coaster of meds. One to help the other to deplete the next symptoms... I had flooding (a lot of it.) I knew I was different, I was told by loved ones I was crazy. I had both sudo seizures as well as simple complex, later found I had sleep apnea, along with partial paralysis with a left foot drop. I also suffered with hearing loss and everything just sounded like bla bla bla... My eardrums were not moving my brain was very swollen. They tried hearing aids it just made bla bla bla louder - I refused to use them. Later tested as my hearing 3 years later began to come back - I had trouble understanding words beginning of words I was called a liar and that I was faking it. Who the hell would take that? Later they tried to pin all kinds of labels of mental illness, bipolar, personality disorder, major depression, and more.

I'm happy to report today after 31 yrs - I'm finally reading articles seeing doctors who have my best interest in mind. I had situational depression, seizures, flooding from over-stimulation because I pushed myself to do things when I needed to not push so hard. Emotional flooding because of people in my life who didn't understand. So much has happened but like most TBI I am left all alone. People don't understand because I don't look sick... It is an Invisible illness... I can't work a full time, I have family members who think I am lazy. Really because I'd really like a job full time and have money to do things... My brain won't allow me to. Always working and seeking to better myself. On another note where I had front and back TBI, then several more TBI wrenching my neck all the time I'm looking at some serious surgeries.

Apr 6th, 2016 11:16pm

I suffered a "mild" concussion after a slip & fall on the ice.  Thank you for this article! This information would have helped me tremendously had I known this 4+ years ago.  Luckily this uncontrollable laughter & crying only lasted a few days after the injury but it confused my family and landed me in a psych ward for 3 days on an involuntary commitment.  I wish people in the medical/mental health industry would have more training to identify these obvious symptoms that I am still learning.  Thanks for the article and description that helps define my injury.  I pray that the woman with the daughter being falsely accused of bipolar disorder finds better doctors.  I have stood up to doctors and a neuropsycholigist who have tried to label my injury a mental illness.  A registered nurse practitioner who held me in lock down tried to medicate me with an anti seizure & anti depressant combination for my "condition".  It was 2 years later that my best friend who is a RN with 10 years experience in mental health explained to me that they had attempted to treat me for bipolar disorder.  It is inappropriate to make such a diagnosis or recommendation without an extensive history.  The medical world is too quick to medicate rather than locate the true problem through testing that is now available to make sure they are not adding dangerous drugs to an injured brain.  Luckily I refused her recommendations and advised her I wanted to speak to my regular doctor before considering these medications.   Humans are not guinea pigs.  I was drugged against my will twice before leaving the hospital with antipsychotic meds. I now have uncontrollable muscle spasms/tics.  I am hopeful that it is just stress, PTSD or gut health all of which can be healed.  One of the side effects of the forced meds is tic disorders.  Although I doubt that is the case for me I think doctors are calloused & negligent in using dangerous psychotropic meds on any patient with an injured brain. Extreme caution should be used when labeling a person with mental illness and or medicating.  I learned the term differential diagnosis while being sued that doctors can actually admit they are not sure what is causing symptoms before putting labels on a person that can damage them for years to come.

Sep 17th, 2015 4:31am

All of the articles I read address all kinds of symptoms and issues such as flooding after the TBI in such a way that it sounds like these things happen initially when the brain is healing in the first months to year.   What about long term studies that show these issues, problems, symptoms persisting years later.  My TBI was 15 years ago next month and I have these issues.

Aug 19th, 2015 10:57am

Learn about pseudo-bulbar. The laughing part is kind of fun but can be embarrassing and the crying part is embarrassing. Regardless of pseudo-bulbar, when there's too much stimuli without enough rest... that's a recipe for disaster for anyone who's had a TBI. But, you can learn to manage it. And there are some meds that can help (not eradicate) with the mood swings, but you have to find the right mix.

Jun 5th, 2015 11:56pm

The Pseudobulbar affect causes irrepressible laughter and/or crying. It is a symptom of brain damage from TBI, stroke or advanced degenerative neurological disease.

Its like a hiccup.

In some people, including me, the laughter (or crying) can be triggered by emotional states, but having pseudobulbar effect has nothing to do with your overall emotional state.

Anyone who needs more info on pseudobulbar affect should head to stroke.org and Wikipedia.

Mar 12th, 2015 11:09pm

Do you know anything about the Emotional Nervious System?  Many of the issues we deal with are centered there i.e. anger - fight or flight - The Limbic System.  Mindfulness training is good way to control these unwanted emotions by staying calm and relaxed.  It is better to be pro-active than reactive to these issues.  You can read all about neuroplasticity, mindfulness, biofeedback on Wikipedia without all the pro-industry slant.

Oct 23rd, 2014 5:28pm