Facts About Concussion and Brain Injury

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Page 1 of 3 | Single Page

Facts about Concussion and Brain Injury: Where To Get Help
More Information

About Brain Injury

A blow or jolt to the head can disrupt the normal function of the brain. This is called a brain injury, or concussion. Doctors may describe these injuries as “mild” because concussions are usually not life threatening. Even so, the effects of a concussion can be serious.

After a concussion, some people lose consciousness or are “knocked out” for a short time, but not always — you can have a brain injury without losing consciousness.

Because the brain is very complex, every brain injury is different. Some symptoms may appear right away, while others may not show up for days or weeks after the concussion. Sometimes the injury makes it hard for people to recognize or to admit that they are having problems.

The signs of concussion can be subtle. Early on, problems may be missed by patients, family members, and doctors. People may look fine even though they’re acting or feeling differently.

Because all brain injuries are different, so is concussion recovery. Most people with mild injuries recover fully, but it can take time. Some symptoms can last for days, weeks, or longer.

In general, recovery is slower in older persons. Also, persons who have had a concussion in the past may find that it takes longer to recover from their current injury.

This article explains what can happen after a concussion, how to get better, and where to go for more information and help when needed.

Medical Help

People with a concussion need to be seen by a doctor. Most people with concussions are treated in an emergency department or a doctor’s office. Some people must stay in the hospital overnight for further treatment.

Sometimes the doctors may do a CT scan of the brain or do other tests to help diagnose your injuries. Even if the brain injury doesn’t show up on these tests, you may still have a concussion.

Your doctor will send you home with important instructions to follow. For example, your doctor may ask someone to wake you up every few hours during the first night and day after your injury.

Be sure to carefully follow all your doctor’s instructions. If you are already taking any medicines — prescription, over-the-counter, or “natural remedies” — or if you are drinking alcohol or taking illicit drugs, tell your doctor. Also, talk with your doctor if you are taking “blood thinners” (anticoagulant drugs) or aspirin, because these drugs may increase your chances of complications. If it’s all right with your doctor, you may take acetaminophen (for example, Tylenol®* or Panadol®*) for headache or neck pain.

Danger Signs — Adults

In rare cases, along with a concussion, a dangerous blood clot may form on the brain and crowd the brain against the skull. Contact your doctor or emergency department right away if, after a blow or jolt to the head, you have any of these danger signs:

• Headaches that get worse
  • Weakness, numbness, or decreased coordination
  • Repeated vomiting

The people checking on you should take you to an emergency department right away if you:

• Cannot be awakened
  • Have one pupil — the black part in the middle of the eye — larger than the other
  • Have convulsions or seizures
  • Have slurred speech
  • Are getting more and more confused, restless, or agitated

Danger Signs — Children

Take your child to the emergency department right away if the child has received a blow or jolt to the head and:

• Has any of the danger signs for adults
  • Won’t stop crying
  • Can’t be consoled
  • Won’t nurse or eat Although you should contact your child’s doctor if your child vomits more than once or twice, vomiting is more common in younger children and is less likely to be an urgent sign of danger than it is in an adult.

Symptoms of Brain Injury

Persons of All Ages

“I just don’t feel like myself.”

The type of brain injury called a concussion has many symptoms. These symptoms are usually temporary, but may last for days, weeks, or even longer. Generally, if you feel that “something is not quite right,” or if you’re “feeling foggy,” you should talk with your doctor.

Here are some of the symptoms of a concussion:

• Low-grade headaches that won’t go away
  • Having more trouble than usual:
    • Remembering things
    • Paying attention or concentrating
    • Organizing daily tasks
    • Making decisions and solving problems
  • Slowness in thinking, acting, speaking, or reading
  • Getting lost or easily confused
  • Neck pain
  • Feeling tired all the time, lack of energy
  • Change in sleeping pattern:
    • Sleeping for much longer periods of time than before
    • Trouble sleeping or insomnia
  • Loss of balance, feeling light-headed or dizzy
  • Increased sensitivity to:
    • Sounds
    • Lights
    • Distractions
  • Blurred vision or eyes that tire easily
  • Loss of sense of taste or smell
  • Ringing in the ears
  • Change in sexual drive
  • Mood changes:
    • Feeling sad, anxious, or listless
    • Becoming easily irritated or angry for little or no reason
    • Lack of motivation

Young Children

Although children can have the same symptoms of brain injury as adults, it is harder for young children to let others know how they are feeling. Call your child’s doctor if your child seems to be getting worse or if you notice any of the following:

• Listlessness, tiring easily
  • Irritability, crankiness
  • Change in eating or sleeping patterns
  • Change in the way they play
  • Change in the way they perform or act at school
  • Lack of interest in favorite toys
  • Loss of new skills, such as toilet training
  • Loss of balance, unsteady walking

From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. www.cdc.gov.

*Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

2 days ago I caught my foot on the front swinging door at my shop and slammed my head in the left temple area very hard! It was loud on that metal door. No vomiting but strange headaches. Felt like gravity or compressing all over left side. I went into local hospital (the one everyone says sucks...) and they just did full diagnostics on my cordination and pupil check. No catscan... The next day I felt I barely made it to work from dizziness and slight naucess and stopped to get Ice pack and tylenol. It helped as I rested 3 hours and now today I wake up with small head pain (swelling gravity) on opposite side temple area with very small drainage on my right eye. Had funny dreams too past 2 days.Out of all that I am feeling better as I type this. Although everyone says get it scanned at hospital, I am showing n oobvious signs of seriousness based on research. Headaches are less and less. I just can't believe I hit my own face on the door like that lol! I guess I'll go into hospital if I feel any strange but at age 33 you realy think alot about these injuries. Funny when you are younger you never stop tho think how delicate the human body realy is. This forum has helped stop my paranoia today lol!

Mar 20th, 2014 11:28am

I had head injury 2 weeks ago had head glued and concussion now another lump has appeared on the back of Head still got headaches what should I do

Mar 7th, 2014 2:22pm

I hit my head on the car roof about 40 minutes ago. The next five minutes, I have a sudden head ache, dizziness and nausea come to me all at once. I thought I was just nauseous because I haven't eaten dinner, so I did. The nausea was gone, but the dizziness was still there. I touched my head where it was hit, and when I touched it there was a small dry clot of blood on my scalp.

I tried putting ice on it but I still feel dizzy. I'm afraid to go to sleep, but I really feel sleepy. My arms and legs also feel weak right now. If I still have these tomorrow morning, mom and I might visit the doctor

Feb 13th, 2014 10:22am

I had auto accident bad concussion 1986 and PTSD from abuse because I had slurred speech, and confusion was in my bed and got abused by the police, I had a concussion I was 33 y.o. of the concussion. I HAD DONE NOTHING AT ALL..Took me ten years to deal with the PTSD, and at least 6 months to deal with the concussion. Heard in 1991 that the soldiers were coming back home with concussions and PTSD and tripling the affects.

Took me until 1991 to get back to work and I had ? eye therapy for PTSD that worked and I managed to relive my life.

7/2012 fell into huge whole in  the street and had a very bad concussion. Had to stopping working as a RN due to this, concussion and spinal injuries and pain.

11/2012 had a huge truck smash into back of my stopped car, throw my car 2-3 foot. I can no long function, but people around me don't see it, other than my partner and he can she the extreme changes and facial eye changes.He still can't understand the extreme horrible I'm dealing with. Extreme headache that just increase with doing anything that wouldn't do anything at all. Dry heaving , brain stem pain, neck pain can't function nor get the help I need..Spinal swelling and inflammation. What used to take me 10 minutes takes me 10 hours if I can even do it. I could do anything love to work as a RN critical care and no problems doing anything at all. Can't do or function at all. Hours and hours to attempt to do anything at all.

June 2012..PA LAW SUIT can't handle at all and the judge and atty could careless how bad I am...

My sister ( end stage COPD, O2) lived in my condo past 10 years, is dying but they are refusing to let her live there, as she has to have someone live with her a 24/7 AIDE that per MT POCONO PA is a tenant.  Therefore, she now at 66 yo lives in a nursing home.. This I could have handled, and done the legal paperwork today CAN"T FUNCTION to even address it, I getting sued for huge huge amounts and nothing I can do..

Judge in Stroudsburg Pa is abusing me I don't have a concussion, nothing wrong with me, atty gets anything they want...I can't handle anything THE CONCUSSION I can't function at all. This abuse as per the judge isn't affecting me at all.

This stress is make my condition worse and the judge could careless. As per him it doesn't affect me at all...Can't get someone to help.. Address or make someone help with concussion. Now can't function at all, no one can see the total affects but I can no longer function, do something anything and my eyes extreme pain, headache horrible, can't sleep at all 2-3 hours, you can see the extreme pain in my eyes, can't think at all. If I was stopped by police for drunking I can't walk straight, one one foot, get dizzy, nausea and dry heaving non stop is I lean or change position.

I'm 61 and no long can work and afraid I will never get better. Auto accident Geico refuses to pay medical bills, their IME says nothing wrong, even with bad spinal pain. Can't afford even the co payment to get the care I need. Doctors angry I don't follow thru CAN"T I CAN"T FUNCTION AND I"M AFRAID. Most doctors don't have a clue about them..Live on Long Island all I hear about in young people with sports injuries.. Doctors seem to be more interested in them....Any idea what I do or where I go for help...

Geico has been nothing but abusive..How or where do I get test to prove I have a major concussion and how do I deal with it.?

If I had a drug problem, alcohol issue, was suicidal there is somewhere to go and help to get better takes me 10 hours to write this and can't get any help or prove I have one....ANY IDEAS how I can prove my pain and concussion.. Stress causes more issues I understand with concussions...

HELP what test prove these things. CAT SCANS, MRI don't I'm told.... Would love to go back to doing what I love helping other people as a RN

Feb 6th, 2014 11:15pm

Ive had 7 concusonms fromdirtbikin and football is this bad? I feel like my breathing is messed up to. I need treatment but dont have insurance.

Feb 2nd, 2014 4:47pm

I just left the hospital from seeing my teenaged niece wake for a few minutes after having slept for 4 days in the ICU. She was the passenger in a car that crash at a high speed and was ejected. She had a large head wound that was stapled shut and broken bones that were pinned and plated but her brain is not right. After a few minutes of waking up she went back to sleep and didn't wake up again. While she was awake she said words and made up words for things she asked for, she was unable to answer questions with replies that made sense and she roared like a lion. She knew my name but not who I am too her. She is not able to follow direction but drank when it was held up to her lips. What type of injury is this and what is the prognosis?

Candy

Jan 23rd, 2014 4:04am

wow humans are somethings else..so complex AS IM READING THIS, IM THINKING....not all are affected the same with sustaining traumatic brain injury..i had an accident 2 1/2 yrs ago and Im good..have no crzy symptoms and thankfully only nausua in the morning, not every morning consitantly and not every single morning since the accident..its so weird. Im not depressed, don't have behavior issues, no epilepsy..Ugh OOOHHH I can be soooo much worse...SEE WHAT STAYING POSITIVE AND COACHING,TRAINING URSELF DO..I SHOULD MENTION GOD..MY STRENGTH,ATTITUDE & GRATITUDE(which made all the difference) EVEN WHEN I SUFFERED & REALLY HAD NO ONE.. CAME FROM HIM. WHEN UR GRATEFUL FOR UR LESSONS U R BLESSED TRAIN UR BRAIN TRAIN UR THOUGHTS while u exrcise therapy urself don't wait on no therapist..IT CAN B DONE THRU PATIENCE & BELIEF..CONSTANTLY (NONSTOP) IS THE KEY..FOR U THAT DONT BELIEVE IN GOD..JUST TRAIN URSELF..DONTCHA KNOW HEALING URSELF IS AN OLD ANCIENT ART hey im still training myself not to write so dam much HAHAHA

Nov 18th, 2013 7:22am

I posted on May 18th 2013. TBI from car accident.. I searched depression and grade 3 concussions and came across my own post I didn't realize I posted. Go figure 😊. Tonight here's what I wrote in my journal.. didn't want to tell anyone but today I forgot how to get to Dr. Mealy MEE LL I's office. I was in our driveway trying to figure out where it is and had no idea but was too embarrassed to ask my wife. Too many times in the last year not that I would ever hurt myself but I've thought about what it would be like to end all of this aggravation. Many times I just think this is too much to deal with and I can't take it anymore. I get very depressed, and very lonely and in my own thoughts and confused. I try to play it off and laugh. No one really understands what I'm going through and no one understands that I have a hard time communicating it. I've had enough physical pain the emotional pain is worse than you could ever imagine. I really need help, but then have afraid to ask for thoughts of that

Nov 6th, 2013 9:58pm

I am 27 and a mother to a wonderful little boy. Almost 3 weeks ago we were traveling on i-79 north from Pittsburgh pa where we were visiting relatives. It was night time and we would be home in about 15 minutes. I went to pass a slower suv (seriously. They were going about 10mph lower than the speed limit) when all of a sudden they drifted over in front of me. I slammed on my breaks and swerved. I remember hearing a loud crash and the next thing I knew we were off the side of the road. It took me a second to focus and then I started asking my son if he was ok. He started crying and to my horror, he had a severe head wound and was bleeding badly. I had to climb over to the passenger side to get out because my door wouldn't open. After finding an old shirt for him to hold on his wound, I desperately tried to flag down a car for help because I couldn't find my phone(it went from the front seat to the trunk through a small gap in the back seat from the initial hit). Thank God someone finally stopped and called 911. I told the police I thought someone else hit me when I lost control. Turns out we hit and went up an embankment, flipping the car one full rotation. My son flew by helicopter to children's hospital where plastic surgeons were able to close his wound. I was kept over night and doctors found nothing wrong with me. 1 week later I was back in the ER with pain on the left side of my head, headache, nausea, fatigue and problems with memory. This all started a few days after the accident. They found I did have a concussion. I still do not feel right. And I thought I was being dramatic about it. But seeing that other people are having lasting symptoms makes me feel better.

Oct 11th, 2013 4:51pm

about last October I fell down the stairs and hit my head agains the door, I immediately got up and went to work that night, I took pills and it work, days after the headaches started I finally went to the emergency room where they did a cat scan and said everything was good I just need rest with some pain killer, they finally stop, it's been 8 months and they started back again.

Sep 15th, 2013 2:00am

Every time my child bumps her head I'm afraid that she's going to lose brain cells. Lol.

Sep 13th, 2013 3:09am

My 14-year-old daughter was snow boarding with her older brothers this past Thanksgiving weekend 2012, she fell with hitting her head 3-times back front and back and yes she had a helmet on. When she returned home she had a really bad headache and did vomit couple of times, her head injury needed to bloom ! after 24 hours she was in the ER, she physical re-covered but was left with high anxiety and has a fear going to school for the fear of ? SO my question is can a person still have high anxiety after 10 months.

Sep 9th, 2013 4:18pm

I was struck on the head from behind by a blunt object knocking me out but as he threw me to the ground i remember his face, then i came in the house got ready for bed went to sleep and woke up next morning and and could not figure out what happened to my head, i still see his face. but i do not remember doing anything after he hit me. im still afraid to go to the police.

Sep 3rd, 2013 8:54pm

I had an accident where my horse and I fell. I did not realize I had a concussion until a couple days later. All the symptoms of a type 2 or worse concussion were there. the weird thing is, I remember the accident clearly and had never lost consciousness. I went to the doctor 2 months later and they didn't help. 4 months later, it is still majorly bothering me and the pain in my head and other is continuously becoming worse.

Aug 30th, 2013 12:26am

My doctor said my catscan was negative and started yelling at me making cry wanting to know how am I getting headaches and dizziness if the catscan is normal, I get agitated easily and angry for no reason really fast this is all new behavior for me, but the way she makes me feel I feel like telling her the headaches and dizziness are gone so I don't have to keep going to her and depend on other people for rides it's horrible to have to beg for a ride and I hate that workman's comp doctor she gets mad if I don't tell her What she wants to hear.Hopefully in time the headaches and dizziness will stop and I can be normal again.

Aug 14th, 2013 8:50pm

File the workers comp paperwork. Get yourself seen by a doctor, and take care of your head. Log everything, and be prepared to see an IME doctor that your job will make you see. Your HR department is not there to help you. They get paid to fight LNI (workers comp) issues, so be prepared, and only say what is required of you to say. Contact your union if you have one. They can help you, and don't feel guilty about it. You hurt yourself on the job, and that's all that matters. I used to work in HR for a really large agency. Good luck. I also suffer from a TBI. I have never been the same so please do this for yourself sooner than later.

Jul 29th, 2013 11:54am

When my boyfriend was younger he fell and hit his head pretty hard. It knocked him out for a little when he woke up it was difficult for him to remember stuff. Lately he has been having really bad head aches. He feels pain on his his behind his left ear. He has been changing a lot lately. Also his vision hurts him, he can not look at something to long or close because it causes a headache. His attitude and personality has changed. I was wondering if perhaps this has anything to do with what happened when he was younger. If you could please help me I would truly appreciate it. Thank you. Ariana Sanchez

Jul 29th, 2013 11:08am

U can go to the court and section 35 her I don't know if they have that where u live

Jul 27th, 2013 5:50pm

My now 19 yr old daughter has suffered 5 severe concussions, one of which caused her to be paralyzed from the waist down; in sporting events. Over A 4 yr period. She now is recovered Drs. say. She is now however so aggressive & suicidal, that her Dr. put her on Paxil, after Prozac made her even worse. We have had to call 911 on her & received absolutely no help, as she is A Adult now & they said they cannot force her to go to the hospital unless she actually tries to kill herself. Isn't trying to stab herself & her Father A attempt? The police & Mental health tech told us we had to let her leave or we would be holding her against her will & we would get in trouble. The police allowed her to get into her car and peel away from home & we did not hear from her for days. I have been fighting to get her help & keep being told \\\" she is A adult & she has to get her own help\\\" How can she when she does not even realize her problem. I spent days weeks & hours on the phone looking for help & have gotten no where. She hates me now for trying to get her to get help. She told me yesterday she wished I was dead. If anyone reading this has or knows of help for us as parents I would GREATLY appreciate it. P.S. The very first ? by all the help lines & facilities I called wanted to know first about her insurance. WTH. I do not care what it costs, my daughter, honor roll student; needs help NOW!

Jul 17th, 2013 12:38am

Wow..... interesting. Two weeks ago I hit a tree after hydroplaning on 495 at 60 to 70 miles per hour. I thought I was fine-no physical injuries- but I was complaining all the first week of "not feeling like myself". On day 8 I lost consciousness a few times during the day very briefly but I found it very weird lol.. I went home and slept for sixteen hours. Then became very depressed and felt suicidal I seem to be recovering now but I am just now realising that I probably had a concussion.

Jun 17th, 2013 6:48pm

Don't give up! Keep searching for the right doctor who will listen to you. It took me almost 2 years to find the right neurologist who figured out what was going on with me. I was rear end at stop light by a pick up truck going 55 miles an hour. I only lost consciousness for a few seconds but was totally dazed and confused and in pain. I never felt right and knew things were wrong. I couldn\'t focus, things were too loud and too bright, I would zone out, forgot to pay my bills, couldn\'t keep my old household routine. This basically destroyed my relationship with my husband, son and daughter. I got the \"you look fine\", you\'re lazy\", \"just do what your told\". Come to find out I have a mild TBI and I suffer from frontal-temporal seizures as well. I have been in cognitive therapy for my memory issues. I am a CPA with an MBA who would have thought I couldn\'t shop for groceries for a week or decide on a parking spot or forget to rinse shampoo out of my hair on a regular basis. Some of these things have gotten better but some have lingered. I will undoubtedly have the seizures for the rest of my life. On the upside, I am more outgoing and I tend to speak my mind and say how I feel. I used to be much more reserved. So, at least I did get a couple of pluses;) Good Luck to all and keep searching for that doctor who will listen.....he/she is out there!

May 22nd, 2013 9:46am

I got in a car accident a year ago and suffered a grade 3 concussion with TBI. Recently, I'm constantly sad and thinking of suicide, even though I don't think I'd harm myself. Constantly noise in my head. I do not want to tell anyone because they will think I'm crazy, or make me get physchitraic evaluation. I'm a 44, gt rear ended whle stopped at red light by kd going 45mph.....any advice??? I get really sad when alone. And have increased my drinking

May 18th, 2013 9:57pm

I am 28 and had my fifth concussion now since the age of 10, I notice my mind is clearer now then ever after this one and I suffered it by braking m left orbital against an aluminum dry rack on 5/3/13 I feel stronger rather than weaker after this one can anyone help me understand how or why that may be docs have no answers for me?

May 16th, 2013 6:42pm

mine is massive tramatic brain damage. The mri shows black, the specialist yelled " this is huge". ummmn ya all the symptoms are correct here minus the big time frustration involved as i await to get better. 7.5 years of feeling like im all tied up in a ball.

Mar 23rd, 2013 6:30pm

im scared i have one. whacked the hell out of the front-top (frontal lobe?) of my skull standing up to quick. Banged it on a metal pipe.... (yeah, I know, right). Have a headache, stiff neck, feel kind of like i got a lean on sometimes, every now and again will space out doing math. Today it happened. Pupils normal, no bright lights. Should i see doctor and file workers comp claim? It happened there, but god, it is just plain clumsiness!

Mar 18th, 2013 10:57pm

The trunk on my car has long been dreaded as dangerous... and I always warned even grown men to be careful. It is very heavy and just slams down... a 15 yr old Intrepid. Well I got clobbered directly on the top of my head towards the front.. the wind took it.. three days ago... and I am on blood thinners for DVT's. I called for someone quickly and thank God my neice heard me. I remember little after that... I thought my sister was with me for the rescue and in the trauma unit. I had tremors in my right arm and hand... and nausa.. pain and neck pain. Noise in my ears from ring to a motor running on low ..like a fan. Sounds are louder... and noise make me irritable. I just want to sleep... the ER nurses were more concern than the neurologist who said... I am not concern after less than two minutes. The hospital is a Trauma Center but truly has declined on the level of care by physicians and doing what should be done vs what is cost effective. This hospital has lost some great physician's in the process and I was not happy to find I was going there. I am making an appointment with a neurologist of my own hospital and be followed for my symptoms " not cost effective treatment".

Mar 10th, 2013 5:14pm

My story is about my son and i am sharing it in the hopes that people read these stories and realize they are right they are not crazy!!! The brain is like any muscle if you injure it it needs to heal. If you don"t heal it it will protect it"s self by not working properly. I try to compare it to someone spraining their ankle then the next day running a 10 km marathon. my son's story about several concussions and his last that ended him in 2 psyc hospitals is quite long so I am posting a copy of the letter i am sending to the doctors that wouldn't listen. For those who want the whole story as told by myself are welcome to contact me at linda.hurren@hotmail.com My son is M Hurren I'm sure you have many patients over the course of a year so you may not remember him. He was 20 years old and admitted with Psychosis. April 2012. I advised you at the time my son had suffered a severe concussion but you disregarded this as impossible and diagnosed him with Pycosis or marijuana induced schizophrenia. I understand why you would have assumed this to be his condition as his behavior was matching symptoms but I am writing this to let you know my son had severe post concussion syndrome by over using his concussed brain his brain had reverted to a child like state. Things he would have been taught and would talk about when he was younger sounded strange coming from a 20 year old man. I have attached a copy of a letter that I wrote to explain what happened including all the head injury's he received as a child and what I did to survive this but all I ask is to at least look at head injury as being an option even if the head injury was in the recent past . No tests can show concussions so head injury history is important. I can't help but wonder how many women/ men are in care on medications when all they need is rest The medication made his symptoms worse as he did not need them. My son is on NO medications and is back to living his normal life. He has been back to work since Aug 1 2012. Other than not really having anyone to talk to about his ordeal, as people still have a hard time accepting a mistreated concussion could cause this state of mind, he has had no ill effects. I believe he would still be locked in a hospital environment if I had not removed him as the medications would have continued to have adverse effects. Respectively Linda Hurren

Mar 2nd, 2013 4:17pm

if your eyes hurt after a concussion,please try GUNNAR GAMING GLASSES... my daughter suffered a concussion and the lights at school really hurt her eyes..sold at best buy and will signifigantly reduce eye pain

Mar 2nd, 2013 12:53pm

I'm 23 and I had concussion when I was 16. I was playing football and some idiot kicked the football straight at my eye (by accident). I think first of all I was worse than I am now because I suffered from headaches for a few years afterwards, but now I don't seem to get them anymore. My memory was pretty bad for a while afterwards. I am better now but I haven't exactly got a fantastic memory on me! The main thing that really ticks me off is ever since I had the concussion I've had a tremor in my neck that makes my head move to the side. This worsens when trying to concentrate looking at someone or having my picture taken, definitely when I get nervous it always happens. Now I've read people saying they've had tremors and their neck moves from side to side but mine just seems to go 1 way - pulls to the left. I was told by a neurologist, after getting an MRI scan (because of my headaches) to start lifting weights to strengthen my neck muscles and ease my headaches and I've been doing that ever since. Maybe that has helped my headaches but my neck tremor is still present and I've been trying to read up on how to fix it because it really irritates me.

Feb 25th, 2013 10:25am

Im 28 and have a history of concussions but have not had one in about 6 years. Recently I have had a lot of issues of memory loss and for lack of a better term i feel dumb. I am in a high performance sales position now and this is becomming more and more a worry to me. Not sure if anyone else has dealt with this but it is worrysome.

Feb 15th, 2013 10:54pm

I've had 17 concussions the past year, and i only went to go get my head checked out for the first one. i cant barely function anymore, its starting to get really hard to do anything anymore.... Chris Ray 18

Feb 15th, 2013 9:23am

I so appreciate this article. As a specialist working with communication, I was recently asked to evaluate a student in school with a "r" problem that wouldn't resolve. In listening to what his teacher reported...mumbling, disorganization, impulsivity...and a parent report that the child had been in a car accident... I was able to surmise that the concussion the child had sustained was now impacting his communication. While the communication challenges at hand were minor for this student, it makes sense to support as well as monitor progress in school.

Feb 9th, 2013 1:36pm

I am 71 yr old woman and another car T-boned me and I woke up in the hospital. I was out about one hour. I had a broken pelvis and a few injuries. It took a while to recognize everybody. That was 4 mos ago and I am still confused. I am a lot better but wonder how long it will take to become normal. It\'s embarressing to realize I repeat myself.

Feb 6th, 2013 1:01pm

I am currently suffering the effects of a concussion after being hit by a car on a bike. I strongly suggest seeing either a Craniosacral Therapist, Craniofascial Therapist, or Massage Therapist that specializes in EITHER Pfrimmer or Myofascial Release. This has helped greatly with my neck pain and immobility radiating down the side I was hit, but I am still having lack of bodily coordination. I\'ve been getting Reiki Treatments to deal with the traumatic shock and muscle tension, but I still have a long way to go before I can say I\'m normal again. Currently, I\'m searching for a Rolfer to help rehabilitate my arm...update to follow...-Rinna

Jan 28th, 2013 9:00pm

I have had 2 concussions in 1 year and now I have so much head pain I can hardly bare it. Both times I lost conciousness. The first time I was 26 years old playing with my 2 year old son when he caught me off guard and tackled me so hard, I fell back and hit my head on my kitchen floor. I woke up when the EMT put me on the gurney and I can only remember bits and peices of the ride to the hospital and the stay. The second time I fell down the stairs. I dont know how I made it to the stairs because it was the middle of the night. My husband thinks that I may have been sleep walking. He said he hurd me scream and hurd several thuds. I dont remember any of that. All I remember was waking up on the floor. Since that last fall, I cant tilt my head to look up. I have a constant nausious headache, I cant think straigt, Im easily destracted, and I have this horrible pain on the base of my skall. I have had 2 MRI's but they show nothing. Im suppose to go see a nurologist but I cant find the time with 2 small boys. I dont have the time to rest. The pain has make me very depressed. All I want to do is to be the best mom to my boys and I feel as if im failing. I really need some help. -Alisha Johnson 27

Jan 17th, 2013 10:57am

I have been a 25 miler per day on bike, until car hit me. Crushed my helmet, small 4 cm gash, unconscious for 5-10 min, taken to hospital in ambulance, concussion and compression fracture at T-3. It has been 6 months and I have most of the same symptoms with some improvement: severe neck pain, fleeting headaches, rhombus pain both sides, feeling 'stunned' most of the time, lack of coordination, auto travel produces nystagma. Do well to ride 1-2 times per week max of 4.5 miles. Use treadmill 3 days per week, about 1.5 miles each. Exercise is extremely difficult! Will never be the same. :((

Jan 12th, 2013 2:24pm

I had a mild concussion 2 years ago. I was rear ended. I had a torn ligament in the back of my neck and the whipping of my head caused the concussion. Among other symptoms, memory problems etc... I have notice that I don\'t seem to handle stress very well. I feel like flight or flight and the pressure of the stess is overwhelming. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? I would really appreciate any input someone might have. Oh, I don\'t do it as much now, but I also will repeat words or actions when typing.

Jan 11th, 2013 12:09pm

I had a concussion for about a month and a half before now and I just found out a few weeks ago. It isn't major, but because I took so long to diagnose it and start treating it, it is supposed to take longer to recover. The question on my mind is how much longer is it until I can get back to normal / will I get back to completely normal? I am getting recruited for college softball and have school I need to get back to, so I am a little worried. Thanks! Goodluck to everyone out there with a concussion :)

Dec 4th, 2012 9:52pm

I had a pretty bad concussion two years ago when i was in the eighth grade. I was out of school for a week with a really bad black eye. When the swelling went down, the whole white of my eye was bright red. That went away. I fractured my skull right beside my eye. Ever since my concussion, i get sick after i eat. I don't throw up, but i experience nausea, i get really pale, and sometimes i get blotchy. When i finish eating, i can't look at anyone elses food or smell food, it discusts me. It usually starts out with tremors going through my body, starting in my stonach area, sometimes my legs go numb, and my heart feels fluttery. I've lost 16 pounds because of this and have never gained it back. Sometimes i get really bad acid reflux if i eat greasy food, but thats gets better when i take a few Tums. I also get really bad depression and cry a lot, lose my temper for no reason, and have trouble learning in school. I've had to pause a few times while writing this just because i forgot what i was going to say. If anyone knows a way to help with my nausea after eating, please let me know.

Nov 17th, 2012 9:39pm

Can a concussion have long term affects? My daughter was hospitalized for a concussion at the age of 8 and is now 16, and has difficulty remembering things.Texas

Oct 6th, 2012 10:11am

I just got a concusion saturday I am just wondering, the doctor sent me omeand said get some rest, but my speech is the same and everythingi do is so much slower. My talking, writing anf typing. It takes me longer to remember things and I ger a bad taste in my mouth. I dont feel as tho i am gettig better. I get dizzy and so tired. Will this go away

Oct 2nd, 2012 11:02am

Hi, I was rear ended in 2007 and have had a concussion and side effects of forgetfulness and just walking around feeling stunned. Finally a Doctor asked me if there was anything I wanted to ask, I said, "is there any help for me to improve?' He sent me to a Speech Therapist and she has come up with all sorts of ways for me to retain myself and has pointed me to a support group, that I will attend next week. Already I am feeling so much encouraged that I have a way to get some of the "old me" back. My Speech Therapist feels strongly that a person with a brain injury should not be let alone to figure out how to get better or retain oneself!! I am so glad God helped me get the right help. I advise all of you to get this type of help. God bless you all! Hang in there it will get better!! Margie S

Sep 25th, 2012 1:37am

thank you for your information my huspand has brian injury what kind of question can i ask the doctars when i will meet them i am very confuse

Sep 19th, 2012 7:28am

I have found adderall helped me a lot with my slowness and omega 3..Flax for women only .Ive heard coconut oil helps with dimentia so maybe TBI people should try it

Aug 21st, 2012 5:37am

wow!! thanks to all. I was at work and a box fell about 24ft and hit me on top of my head. I was diagnosed with a cervical neck sprain. I continued to work while going to physiotherapy, accupuncture, and massage for over 18 months. 28 months with symptoms of nausea, headaches, ringing in my ear, pain, numbness, confusion, cognitive problems, memory, strange decisions, and then completer exhaustion my GP diagnosed pain disorder and depression. I met the best Dr. in the world who said obviously you had a concussion and post concussion sydrome. I burst our crying as i thought i had lost my mind. since then she has sent me to pain clinics, to a brain injury clinic and although i still suffer many symptoms 4 years later i have worked on the loss of my life as i knew it, i know i am not imaging anything and now i am working on what to do with the rest of my life. God bless to all

Aug 17th, 2012 9:08am

I've had a TBI now for 2.5 years. Going to a doctor won't nessarly help most doctors are idiots. Most Doctors do not know what to do for TBI people and give you drugs you don't need and therapy that won't help. I would suggest hyperbaric chamber. It's said to help brain injuried people. Most MRI's and CAT's are negative but don't let that discourage you. Brain mapping is another method that really helps. I've found that going to youtube and looking John Byler has helped me termendously. He has six sessions that help explain what he has gone through. I'm slowly recoverying but still have a long way to go.

Jul 26th, 2012 10:17pm

Get Dr. Daniel G.Amen's book Change Your Brain Change Your Life. He shows you in pictures using SPECT imaging about what happens to the brain. He has offices in California and Washington state.

Mar 7th, 2012 10:41pm

thanks for the comments about somatoform, medical \"experts\" noted my husband has a mild TBI, he has no working memory pre or post accident, has ptsd and they tried to say he has picked up a somatoform disorder...symptoms are all brain injury and also consistent with hypoxia....it happens over time and is not instant so you may notice your husband/wife etc decline over time...the time peiod for healing they have given me keeps being extended they really dont have a clue..if you get a TBI read \"I\'ll carry the fork...\" its like being an outsider looking into your life...

Jan 5th, 2012 5:17am

Sometimes it is made worse by the providers..............and psychologists that do not have enough medical knowledge to help people get the treatment they need instead of giving them a mental illness they don't have............and performing a mental privacy rape............asking too many personal questions. Or at teaching hospitals............performing tests such as speech iq garbage when a patient has said no.....is strung out on drugs such as fentaynl morphine lortab and other drugs............or has gone with out pain meds for 09 hours.....they just want to use people as lab rats....

Jan 4th, 2012 11:35pm

It appears the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is just as ignorant as most doctors, including those in the UK. The errors in this article are crucial. They (CDC&P) said Nobody who suffers a concussion ever recovers fully. They may recover from acute symptoms, dizziness, head aches, etc. but there will always be some residual damage or weakness in their brain. This was observed in the 1970’s by Dr Dorothy Gronwall in New Zealand. The symptoms may not be evident until there are other stressors to the brain but some underlying damage will remain. They also state Rarely will there be any evidence of a concussion or other mild Traumatic brain injury on a CT or MRI. The damage is just too microscopic to show up on these imaging technologies. Clinical diagnosis is the most important. Even when clinical diagnosis is negative for concussion, possible/probable concussion should be noted in the medical records. The patient’s self-reporting of stars, dizziness, confusion, or other symptoms after the head impact is enough for a diagnosis of concussion. Many patients get lost in the system because their possible/probable concussion was not noted in their medical records. This leads to later symptoms being dismissed, discounted, or attributed to other causation. This often leads to a diagnosis of somatoform disorder which can negatively impact the future health care of the patient. It is important for the treating facility to do a follow-up, either in person in a clinic or by phone call to determine if symptoms have later developed or returned. Relying on the patient to return to the clinic based on their own judgment is problematic. Research shows that minor bleeds become most evident at about 72 hours. An increase in symptoms during this time period can possibly justify a new imaging study.

Oct 19th, 2011 4:40pm

i have read your comments and post and hopefully once i show these to my son he will try to get some therapy he was dropped from a over pass six years ago and was in a functional coma where he was catatonic but had the ability to speak and semi understand his surrondings but his whole personality changed once he woke up and from what i read here today i see it can be helped if you se somebody

Aug 22nd, 2011 5:28pm

I had a concussion about 13 years ago, my question for you is, am I fine now? I feel fine, most days

Aug 17th, 2011 4:05pm

God has a funny way of getting our attention. I know what I have to do now. THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING YOUR STORIES.BEYOND THE dOCTORS THERE IS NEVER COMPINSATION FOR LOOSING YOUR LIFE AND STILL BEING ALIVE

Aug 16th, 2011 10:53am

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN I HAVE HAD A BRAIN INJURY IN OCT 2007 AND WAS OUT FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT 4TH DAY CRAWLED TO THE BED STILL DIDNT NOT NO I WAS HIT ON HEAD UNTIL I WOKE UP AND LOOKED IN MIRROR AND THEN NOTICED DIDNT END UP IN HOSPITAL UNTIL MAYBE 6 OR 7 DAYS LATER CAN SOME ONE POINME ON WHAT TO DO ??? I HAVE NO INSURANCE AND ALWAYS GETTING HEAD ACHES MOOD SWINGS MY WIFE TELLS ME AND LOTTA OTHER SYMPTOMS AND VERY FORGETFUL ! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP IM 44 YEARS OLD AND VERY DEPRESSED AND CRY A LOT ABOUT THIS PLEASE HELP ALSO IF ANYONE CAN HELP PLEASE LET ME NO AND I WILL GIVE MY EMAIL ADDRESS I DONT HAVE NO CLUE ON WHAT TO DO AT ALL DAVE

Apr 26th, 2011 1:55am

I am amazed at this. I read up on concussions and learned what the symptoms are, and that it is crucial to get medical attention and rehab as soon as possible; yet, according to your comments, it is the same as with my good friend...dizzy, weak, unbalanced, nausea...and yet none of the Drs. seem concerned. They do not think there was a concussion sustained (rear-ended by a semi, no skid marks, and forced into a line of three more stopped vehicles); 150 stitches in the back of the head, with deep abrasion on forehead. But a concussion? Doubtful. So, what do you do? Pray. Pray for a competent Dr. to help you out. And believe in the Power of God--then live as a Witness to Him. God bless each of you with a healing. Judy, IN

Dec 21st, 2010 3:18pm

thank for this l just go troht l problen with is consornig is my brain no body what is hapenig tu my son they said is depretion boooo please help me australia

Oct 18th, 2010 6:57am

Guy, I so know your situation as I was a student at Harvard and had an accident and was treated very similar. After five years of living with this, my conclusions are that the medical industry has no idea in general how to look at this, and honestly after going to one of the best rehab facilities in the world, they have no idea how to treat it.... seriously, they don't. They cannot prove anything by looking at exrays because to them it does not exist. When you look at the fact that anything that truly exists is made up of energy and matter. We are energy and it damages our brains, system, and energy flow. I was healed by a tremendous woman who healed her own daughter with TBI from a car accident. Please contact me at lcampbell@pvgasset.com and I can help you... trust me. Laura

Jul 30th, 2010 12:03am

This is all interesting. I live in UK and was rear-ended at high speed three years ago. I fatigue easily, even now, and have a lot of very irritating deficits such as clumsiness, forgetfulness, lack of concenration, lack of smell & taste, etc. I am 62 and accept that it's not as serious as if it had happened to me as a young man. There as been ongoing litigation, for relatively trivial money, maybe 100,000 sterling tops. But, having had an extensive series of tests which supported my claim, my lawsuit was stopped in its tracks then other day by our own Expert Medical Witness, a Professor of Neuropsychiatry at a London Unversity who examined me and then wrote the following report: "The first question to address is did the accident result in a brain injury. Using the standard parameters to make such an evaluation, namely the presence of unconsciousess, retrograde or post traumatic amnesia there is no evidence that he displays any problems in these domains. Neither was there a head injury sustained in the index event. These parameters clearly indicate that there was no head injury sustained and thus on this basis it is difficult to account for neurological type symptoms which he now presents with in terms of any brain injury sustained in the accident. The overwhelming evidence is that he did not sustain a brain injury." I had reported that after the crash I just sat in my seat completely dazed and seeing stars for anything from ten seconds to a minute, (I was on my own) but did not lose consciousness or memories of the event. I find it very frustrating. The inference is either that I am making it all up, or else that coincidental Ily with the week of the crash I developed a whole suite of idiopathic neurological problems. Apologies for ranting. Guy

Jun 14th, 2010 10:24am

i have a concussion. this article has helped me to understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for writting this. christy linnean james

Mar 22nd, 2010 9:05am