From ER to ICU

Don Kautz, Linda Holtzclaw, Angelica Ford, and Kimberly Shuster. Edited by Kathy Helmick, Brain Injury Association of Kentucky

Page 1 of 2 | Single Page

From ER to ICU

When a patient who has experienced a brain injury arrives in the ER (Emergency Room), staff will want to quickly find out how serious the injury is and start the treatments necessary to prevent further injury. As the treatments are started, the doctors and nurses will be asking lots of questions. If the patient was in an automobile accident they will want to learn all they can about the accident. How fast was the car going? Were they thrown from the car? Were they wearing a seat belt? Did their head hit the windshield? Answers to these questions help the doctors and nurses predict what kinds of injury the patient has. These answers also help them to predict how serious the brain injury is.

Often by the time the patient reaches the ER, they may be unresponsive, may appear to be in a coma, or deep sleep. They may be confused. If they are like that in the ER, the staff will want to know how they were right after the accident. Did the patient lose consciousness; if so, for how long? The staff will also ask if the patient has had a history of seizures. Had the patient been drinking or taking any drugs, especially mind altering drugs, such as cocaine and marijuana. Even though it may be embarrassing to have these questions asked, the staff needs to know in order to provide the best care for the patient.

Shortly after the patient arrives in the ER he/she will be taken away to an examining room. All family and friends will be asked to wait in the waiting room. They will not see the patient again until all the doctors have finished their exams and treatments, the patient will never be left alone. During this time the nurses and doctors will be monitoring the patient very closely.

Neurosurgeons will examine the patient to determine the extent of the brain injury; trauma surgeons will examine the patient for additional injuries; and internal medicine doctors, ophthalmologists (eye doctors), or neurologists, may be called in to examine the patient. Lots of tests will be ordered. The patient will have one or two IVs started. The patient will have blood tests and x-rays, and will be taken for CT scans and MRIs. CT Scans (sometimes call "CAT scans") are tests similar to x-rays, which are done to see if there is any swelling or bleeding of the brain. A similar type of test is called MRI. Both the CT scan and MRI can be very useful and may be done several times while the patient is in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit). The machines that perform the CT scans and the MRIs may not be located in the ER or ICU so the patient may need to be transported in their bed to the place where these tests are done. Nursing and other staff will take the patient to these tests and stay while the tests are being performed.

The ER or ICU staff will keep family and friends informed about the patient's condition and where the patient is going. Doctors may be asking for family consent for some procedures. During the time all these tests are being done, the doctors will be treating the patient.

The test results may indicate the patient needs surgery in which case the patient will be taken directly to the operating room. If the patient doesn't need surgery, the doctors will keep treating him/her. These treatments may occur in the ER or after the patient has been transferred to the ICU depending on how critically ill the patient is. If the patient is stable, he may be transferred up to the ICU. If the doctors feel the patient needs treatment before being moved, then the treatments will occur in the ER.

After a brain injury, there may be swelling of brain tissue. The pressure of the brain and fluid inside the skull may rise. The blood circulation to the brain may decrease. All three of these problems will be treated to try to prevent further brain damage. A small tube, called an intra-ventricular catheter (also called an intracerebral pressure or "ICP" catheter) may need to be surgically placed through the skull into the brain to monitor the pressure inside the skull and drain excess cerebral spinal fluid. The ICP catheter is connected to a transducer, a device that transmits signals to a monitor above the bed. This allows the doctors and nurses to tell what the pressure is inside the head. The transducer is often taped to a rolled up towel or washcloth and placed to the patient's head. The ICP catheter is also connected to a drainage bag. This bag is hung on an IV pole at the head of the bed. Surgery may be done to remove a blood clot, or even a part of the brain tissue, to reduce swelling.

If the pressure inside the skull remains too high, medications may be given into the vein, through an IV, to treat the swelling of brain tissue and speed up the drainage of cerebral spinal fluid.

The brain controls and coordinates all of the body functions. A severe brain injury often affects the ability of the body to function. Often a patient will need to breathe. An ET (endotracheal) tube may be put through the nose or mouth into the lungs and hooked up to a ventilator, a machine that assists breathing.

If the ventilator is needed for more than two weeks, a tracheostomy may be performed. A small cut is made in the windpipe, or trachea, directly above the "Adam's Apple." A tube called a "trach" is placed in the opening. The ventilator is then hooked up to the trach, similar to the ET tube. Usually a patient on a ventilator will have wrist restraints to prevent him from pulling out the ET tube. Extra fluids and medications may be needed to regulate the amount of water, salt and potassium in the body. Blood pressure, if too high or too low, may also need to be regulated with medications. An IV inserted into the upper chest (called a Swan Ganz catheter) will be monitoring how effective the heart is beating and the amount of fluid in the body. Blood pressure is monitored by another catheter placed in an artery (called an Arterial Line or A Line), usually placed in the wrist or foot.

The arterial line is used so that the doctors and nurses can tell what the blood pressure is at all times. It is likely the patient will be hooked up to a heart monitor, and will have EKG electrodes taped to the chest to monitor the heart rate rhythm. The patient may need medications to keep the heart beating normally. The patient usually is not alert enough to eat, and so he may be getting nutrients through a feeding tube.

Other IVs may also be run through pumps, so there may be several around the bed. Since the stomach may produce too much gastric juice, there may be a tube that goes into the stomach called a nasogastric, or NG, tube. This tube may be hooked up to a suction bottle to remove these gastric juices.

From the Brain Injury Association of Kentucky. Reprinted with permission. Third-party publishing restricted. www.biak.us.

There is always hope. I'm a coma 3 victim. I lived because I worked out for 15 yrs, 5 days a week. Make your body and heart strong

Jul 31st, 2016 5:00am

Patient is on a respirator. Is there hope?

Jun 30th, 2016 12:33am

I'm writing this from the UK and have found, not only this article, but lots of others too, to be as relevant over here. ER care plans sound very similar. My daughter was hit by a car in early December 2015 and we're delighted that she was discharged from hospital just before her 21st birthday on 6th April. She's doing really well but still has a long haul over the next few years. She was at college with a part-time job which all seems a long way off for her at the moment. She had a lot of other injuries but the TBI overtook the teams' concerns once she was made stable. It has only been over the past few months that the enormity of what has happened has hit me hard, now that I'm not living on sheer adrenalin. I'm sure it will get better as the family move along the road of recovery, but at the moment I feel very emotional most of the day, finding it hard to find my usual resilience. What a journey this is and we're one of the 'lucky' ones.

Apr 25th, 2016 12:44pm

Hey this article helped a lot. I came across it doing research. I am a writer and I needed information on this topic. Thanks Xx

Apr 14th, 2016 6:54am

I have to say it is one of the worse horrible things i have been thru with my son, he fell 40 ft off a bldg doing construction work. What a miracle and a blessing him surviving and coming as far as he has in almost 6 yrs.

Apr 8th, 2016 10:12pm

Response to July 18 share. Hope your husband did come around. Couldn't imagine what you went. Thanks for fighting for him. No matter the current situation of things, I pray you are having some hope in all of it. ---kenny

Nov 28th, 2015 3:39pm

The waiting period has got to be the worst! The routine phone call to the ICU nurses station only to hear a routine answer of... no changes. When I first saw my husband I spoke to him as though he could hear and understand me. Seeing him like this is gut wrenchingly horrible.his stroke was on the 15th and as of today he is still not awake.he's the most stubborn man I know and I thought for just a split second I saw a glimpse of a movement from him while I was talking to him,of a fight to come "to". Now I'm the most stubborn female I know and ours has been a rocky relation.unfortunately we are a separated couple at this time and my place there at the hospital has me questioning it tremendously,but when I spoke to him I thought I could see a second where he was trying to come around.I told him hey...at least wake up so we can fight! I told the nurse he is so stubborn and tough he IS going to come out of this and nothing is going to keep him down. I want to be respectful of his family as far as my presence there and staff is involving me and calling me as legally I'm his wife...but if needed I can step back or do what the family feels most comfortable for me to do. Seeing him like this is the worst experience ever.I love him and always will whether we remain married or not. I will do whatever he asks or requires of me.WHATEVER. from being there to help or stepping back and staying in the distance. Its about him and his and his families needs.the number one thing I want Is for him is to WAKE UP! Wake up and recover from this.he's a fighter and i just want that side of him to fight his way back to the world.how long will he stay asleep? Will the neurological damage increase the longer it takes him to come around? He lost quite a bit of blood so surgery was needed. I'm told his bp flucuates and is stabilized with meds but this waiting for him to wake period is the worst.the more time that goes on like this is it increasing his brain damage? Is there a possibility he WONT wake(that's a worst scenario option) I mean what can I expect.there s really not an answer for me I just have to hope and pray he comes round soon.he's got a lot of family and friends and that is enough to live for and they.... we...all still need him in this world.PLEASE WAKE UP BABE THIS IS RIDICULOUS! OK YOU GOT MY ATTENTION NOW WAKE YOUR ASS UP SO I CAN KICK IT AND VICE VERSA...THEN U DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO BUT UNTIL THEN HURRY UP OR I'M GOING TO DESPERATE MEASURES TO BRING U BACK AROUND AND I DON'T FEEL LIKE GETTING KICKED OUT OF THE HOSPITAL FOR BRINGING OUR DOGS IN! So snap out of it and wake up and get better! I'm not trying to ramble on this here page...I hope my comments are appropriate I just don't know a thing about strokes and recovering from them so I m hoping I found A site where I can not only find comfort but also answers from those Already experienced in what I'm going through observing all this with him,the not knowing the when's and the what's and the how's is an excruciating errie deep dark endless pain of the unknowing world I can't even begin to explain how it feels.it's painfully nauceatingly unbearable. Thanks for listening.

Jul 18th, 2015 9:01am

2 years ago I had to ruptured brain aneurysm vasospasm hydrocephalus heart failure kidney failure and respiratory failure I was given a 2% chance I would live they said if I did live I would be a vegetable just to let you all know anything is possible I am a hundred percent recovered I walk talk work and take care of my family I am back 200 percent I wish you all the best god bless you

Apr 1st, 2015 3:39pm

Wow I have had a Tbi 4.5 years ago, I am still recovering and let me tell u this is the best site 4 wanting to learn about your brain injury

Jordy johnson

​auther of the book: The willpower to live

Mar 25th, 2015 3:34am

I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me,  and I am completely satisfied with your website.  All comments and articles are very useful and very good. Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in. turn you are sharing with each one!…. blood pressure machine

Jul 30th, 2013 2:55am

Does anyone know what the new medicine is that they are using for people that are experiencing brain swelling as a result of a TBI?

Oct 25th, 2012 7:26am

And may I ask how is your condition now? My hubby had an accident resulting in a severe TBI 3-21-12

Jul 5th, 2012 12:58pm

I experience a bad car accident. A TBI is what i ended up with.

Mar 30th, 2011 12:41am